SmartQuant Discussion

Automated Quantitative Strategy Development, SmartQuant Product Discussion and Technical Support Forums
It is currently Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:49 am

All times are UTC + 3 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:34 pm 

Hi guys,

I'm very interested in OQ and have been demoing it against a few other programs. One thing that would make this easier would be if the demo didn't expire. It can take a while to dig into these programs and 30days may not be enough time if you have other things to do too. Really, you're just forcing me to keep downloading from different emails, or installing on different computers, or playing with the clock, etc.

How about just disabling any live trading so we can try it out until we're ready to trade, then pay?

Thanks for listening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:29 pm 

You are welcome to purchase a monthly lease license after your demo expires and then upgrade to the permanent license if you like OpenQuant.

Regards,
Anton

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:20 pm 

skellington wrote:
Hi guys,

I'm very interested in OQ and have been demoing it against a few other programs. One thing that would make this easier would be if the demo didn't expire. It can take a while to dig into these programs and 30days may not be enough time if you have other things to do too. Really, you're just forcing me to keep downloading from different emails, or installing on different computers, or playing with the clock, etc.

How about just disabling any live trading so we can try it out until we're ready to trade, then pay?

Thanks for listening.

lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:54 am 

Not sure why you find this funny RollTheDice (Sky).

Asking your customers to pay to evaluate your product might not be ideal especially when the documentation is so light. But I'm not so cheap that I can't pay $50/mo to keep playing with OQ.

Later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:05 am 

I have reviewed and downloaded TONS of software and I can't think of one that gives you a free trail for > one month.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:42 am 

Ninja is free until you want to trade. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:41 am 

Multicharts also provides a monthly demo.

I felt I had to jump into this post because I don't think with the current level of documentation that it is easy to understand OpenQuant in a month unless you are a finance app programmer. The current documentation seems to be written arly on for a version 1 and there are interface changes in version 2.

For the beginner, I must admit that I burned through a month’s time and I still wasn’t that comfortable enough to make a decision to extend to a license. I finally did (buy a license) but I’m constantly trolling the web trying to find the “OpenQuant for Dummies� Compared to the likes of NinjaTrader and Multicharts, OpenQuant documentation is the equivalent of a Quick Start manual. Oh wait… It is a Quick Start manual!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:55 am 

Yeah, that was my point also.

For example, right now if I load one of the sample strategies and run it in 'live' or 'paper' mode against the simulator providers, nothing seems to happen. Charts don't show anything and I can't even stop the strategy (if I try to close OQ it says a strategy is running so I can't close it).

I assume that I'm doing something wrong (although I would expect the sample strategies to do something) but there is no documentation to explain what I should expect to see or how it should work.

The support in this forum is good but adds a lot of time overhead to learning OQ.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:47 am 

skellington wrote:
For example, right now if I load one of the sample strategies and run it in 'live' or 'paper' mode against the simulator providers, nothing seems to happen. Charts don't show anything and I can't even stop the strategy (if I try to close OQ it says a strategy is running so I can't close it).

This suggests you shouldlook through the docs again :wink:

Regards,
Anton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:25 pm 

I've read the Getting Started, Strategy Dev., and API docs. Are there other docs?

None of them tell me why:

- connecting to the simulated broker/data feeds
- then setting the live/paper options to use the simulated feeds
- then running the strategy

Doesn't appear to do anything. Quotetracker doesn't change, the simulation doesn't do anything, and then I can't stop the simulation or exit the program (without killing the task) without getting an error message about a strategy running.

Maybe there is something wrong with my setup, but it seems that I'm doing at least those steps correctly.

What do you suggest I read? Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:40 pm 

What about these chapters to start with?

6 Configuring a Strategy for Paper or Live Trading
You have already seen most of what you need to know in order to create and run a strategy, and
to analyze its results and performance behavior. The only remaining topic to discuss is how to
connect your strategy to a live market data provider and a live trade execution provider.
Switching from simulation mode (which we have been using so far) to paper trading or live mode
is not difficult, as the following paragraphs will show.
6.1 Configure Trading Mode Options
• The Tools / Options / Configuration / Modes dialog is shown above. It specifies which
providers will be used for each of the three trading modes.
• For Simulation Mode, you cannot set any options. This mode connects your strategy to a
simulated market data provider, and to a simulated trade execution provider. Results are
stored in the “Simulation� Portfolio (recall that there is a separate portfolio for each
trading mode.)
• For Paper Trading mode, you can choose your favorite (live) market data provider. The
IDE will connect your strategy to a simulated trade execution provider. Results are stored
in the “Paper� Portfolio. In this example, the data provider is IB Interactive Brokers.
• For Live Trading mode, you can choose both the market data provider and the live trade
execution provider. In this example, both have been set to IB Interactive Brokers. Results
from live trading are stored in the “Live� Portfolio.
6.2 Choose a Trading Mode
• Choose a trading mode using the Trading Mode toolbar, as shown above. When you
select one of the modes, the configuration values (explained above) for that mode are
used to connect your strategy to the desired providers and portfolio database.
6.3 Check Provider Connections
• When you switch trading mode to something other than Simulation mode, it is a good
practice to check for successful connections to the providers for the newly selected
trading mode. That way you can be sure that all connections are working before trying to
run your strategy with live data or live trade execution.
• Use the View / Providers and View / Provider Errors menus to show both the Providers
pane and the Provider Errors pane. If a provider is properly connected, its icon in the
Providers pane will be Green.
6.4 Check for Provider Errors
• Check for Provider Errors even if the provider icon is green. This is because the Green
state only covers the provider connection, not the messages or content sent across the
connection. For example, if you forget to specify an Exchange property for an instrument,
a live execution provider will return an error message saying that it doesn’t know where
to trade the instrument.
6.5 Check Data Flow with the Quote Monitor
• Once you have defined matching bar sizes, and have successfully connected to a live
market data provider during trading hours, check for a flow of market data by using the
Quote Monitor to make sure that your strategy has access to input trade and bar data.
• View the Quote Monitor with the View / Quote Monitor menu. Drag and drop the
instrument(s) used by your strategy on to the Quote Monitor window. Watch to see if
prices change. If they do, you have data flow for your strategy.
6.6 Check Live Execution Provider Functions
• Check that all your instruments have at least a currency and an exchange value specified
(perhaps your trade execution provider will require other fields as well).
• Check for a good connection to the live execution provider.
• Check that you can successfully send trading orders to your live execution provider using
the Quote Monitor. Right click an instrument line in the Quote Monitor to send a trade
order to the execution provider. Some execution providers such as IB Interactive Brokers
provide test accounts that are identical to real accounts, except that they do not use real
money. These accounts are useful for testing your strategy in a realistic environment.
• Check that you can cancel an order too, if possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:28 am 

I've done all those things, read all of that. It still doesn't work for me and I've done nothing that simply try to run a sample strategy set up for paper trading against the simulator providers. Does the time when I do this matter? Do I need to be running during market hours even for the simulator? Do I need to install MDAC 2.8?

Obviously something is wrong and it's not clear what.

Perhaps you can give me a step by step list of how to go from a clean install straight into running one of the included strategies against the simulated provider. I understand if you don't have the time (I swear I've done all the steps anyway so I'm not sure it would help.)

This is what I've done for the record:

- install
- set the providers for paper and live trading to the simulator
- connect to the providers in the provider window
- load a strategy
- set the mode to paper
- run the strategy

...nothing happens. There are no provider errors in the output, quotetracker does nothing, charts do nothing.

Perhaps there is something wrong with my install?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:09 am 

Most likely your strategy does not receive required market data. What market data provider have you set in the paper trading mode?

Regards,
Anton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:11 am 

Oops! Have you set the market data provider to Simulator for the paper and live trading?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:14 pm 

Yes. Is that wrong?