SmartQuant Discussion

Automated Quantitative Strategy Development, SmartQuant Product Discussion and Technical Support Forums
It is currently Tue May 21, 2019 5:39 pm

All times are UTC + 3 hours

Post subject: Memory Leak
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:13 pm 

I'm seeing a pretty dramatic memory leak in my current strategy (see attached screenshot). When I run the same strategy with simulation engine on the same symbols for the same bars with the same parameters, the memory allocated just goes up and up. I haven't been hitting OutOfMemory errors mainly because I have plenty of memory and have been restarting frequently.

My strategy could be somewhat of a memory hog (involves calculating ratios between pairs and maintaining lists/dictionaries) but my expectation is that the memory committed would more or less return to the same base point each simulation.

Any manual garbage collection that's helpful? Any settings to know about? I'm on 3.2.0 x64, windows 7 Professional system

Attachments:
memoryLeak.PNG
memoryLeak.PNG [ 57.41 KiB | Viewed 5673 times ]

Post subject: Re: Memory Leak
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:39 am 

Hi,

you can try to add GC.Collect in OnStrtegyStop to see if this is a memory leak or the grabage collector just waits until your strategy will eat up enough memory.

On the other hand it's quite possible that some objects are not garbage collected in your strategy. For example you can manually subscribe to some events and forget to unsubscribe in OnStrategyStop.

Just try to comment our everything in your strategy and check that memory usage goes flat and then start uncommenting things to see which part of your logic produces this king of memory consumption graph.

Regards,
Anton

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:14 am 

Thanks for the ideas. I've tried GC.collect() to no effect, but will step thru the code and see what is causing the leak. I instantiate lots of static objects, anything in particular that is best practice to handle in the OnStrategyStop? Once I find the culprit, how can I release the memory?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:58 am 

Still troubleshooting this one, but are there any things I should be doing at the end of a backtest in OnStrategyStop?

the strategy design heavily relies on static variables (200+ instruments being analyzed, sorted, traded) so I'm wondering if there's something related to that.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:08 am 
Site Admin

Hi,

Its hard to find a reason of memory leaks in this situation.
The most probable reason is the strategy code allocates memory for some purposes and does not release it. Is it possible to look into your code?

Regards,
Alex

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:21 pm 

Static variables will stay around for the lifetime of the application. You could try manually clearing all lists, dictionaries and nulling static variable references before forcing a GC.Collect().

Its better to use instance variables if you can. Even so you rely on the Strategy class getting collected so nulling/clearing all can help. To make sure the collection really does collect, try this:

GC.Collect();
GC.WaitForPendingFinalizers();
GC.Collect();